Strong Showing by Fatima College players in National Rapid 2023 Chess Championship
A 7-strong Fatima College contingent competed in the National Rapid 2023 Chess Championship, held at the Cascadia Hotel, St. Anns, on October 21-22, 2023.
Over the course of 2 days and 9 grueling rounds, our Fatima boys showed that they can be competitive at the highest levels of National Chess, as they dueled against 5 FIDE Masters, 1 Candidate Master and many of our elite Club and Youth Chess players.
· Leading the Fatima charge in the 56-player field were Adam Harford, who finished #19 and Xavier Nurse (#20). Both scored 5 out of a possible 9 points;
· Luke Gillette finished #31, with 4 points;
· Julian Zhan and Ari Jogie both score 3½ points, finishing #41 and #45 respectively
· Daniel Ince scored 3 points, finishing in #46 position
· Young Garth Diaz won 2 of his games on Day 1. Unfortunately, he was unable to play on Day 2
Our Fatima Chess coaches also had strong finishes in the National Rapid 2023 Championship.
· Coach Joshua Johnson finished 2nd overall – he was one of 3 players who tied with 7½ points, but eventually had to settle for the runner-up position, on tie-break
· Coach Adrian Winter-Atwell finished a clear 4th, with 7 points
Congratulations to our Fatima boys for their competitive performance, and to coaches Joshua and Adrian, who once again demonstrated their mettle, as members of Trinidad and Tobago’s Chess elite.