History of Fatima College
It was Fr. Francis Flavin O.P. of St. Theresa’s Church in Woodbrook, who recognised the need for an additional Catholic college in north Trinidad. However, it was Fr. Meenan C.S.Sp., bursar of St. Mary’s College, to build and staff a new college named in honour of Our Lady of Fatima.
With the co-operation of Fr. Flavin, classes began in January 1945, on Petra Street, in a building loaned by St. Theresa’s Intermediate School. Mr. Michael McCarthy and Mr. Andrew Cockburn began classes, while Fr. Byrne concentrated on erecting the new buildings on Mucurapo Road, Port of Spain.
On December 1st 1945, with a student body of 115 and a staff of 3, Fatima College was formally opened. Its first principal was Fr. Byrne.
In the following years, Fatima expanded rapidly with the new wings added. The Hall was built in 1951 and the playing field and pavilion in 1963 and 1970 respectively. The A.V./Library and Form 6 block were built in 1972. The Computer Lab was opened in 1984 and the Science wing was built in 1988.
Fr. James Ryan succeeded Fr. Byrne in 1955. In 1973, Fatima College got its first lay principal, Mr. Clive Pantin, who left in 1981. Mr. Mervyn Moore, who joined the teaching staff in 1959, then took over. He retired in December 1999. Mr. Anthony Garcia became Principal in February 2000, ushering the College into the new millennium. He retired in March 2009. Fr. Gregory Augustine has acted as Principal since January 2009.